Sunday 9 December 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - "Ich Hätte Kerzen Angebrannt"

Oops. Clumsy me.

[Updated 09th Dec 2012]

(Poem no. 24 out of 54, located pg. 64 of 'Messer', 2010 print.)

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.




"I Would Have Burnt Candles"

I would have burnt candles
But the light fell from my hand
The colossal flames rose up
And your hair, it caught on fire
A tiny boat on a sea of flames
No land in sight, nor a fire brigade.

Original Meter: Iambic tetrameter all the way through save for a pyrrhic substitution/addition on the second line ('Doch das Licht es fiel...', accent on bold)

Original Rhyme Scheme: AABBCC.

Comments: There honestly isn't very much to say about this one. Except for - well. Oops.

English is a good language for iambic meter, but for something of this length trochees seem more appropriate. I won't pretend that I can save the rhyme or meter, so free verse it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment