Sunday 18 March 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - "Fernweh"

'Fernweh' means 'Wanderlust' which means 'the yearning to travel'. Both words are of German origin. Talk about being shaped like itself ._.

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.




Wanderlust

A handful of sawdust
And a crow on the roof
I've dug and left
For myself a deep hole

A handful of rose petals
Rain down into the deep hole
Singing there - Oh, come back home -
My arrival is not splendid at all.

A horde of wild monkeys
Praying at a rosary
I pull out the knife from its sheath
And there I eat a plump rat

With a raven on the shoulder
Singing from the rat's womb
The trembling flanks carry your fear
And I devour their intestines

Notes: Italics are lines that I'm less sure of than others. The last line in particular, 'ihre' was translated to 'their', but I'm not sure what exactly to make of it. 'Ihre' can mean 'her' 'your' 'its' etc as well!

Comments: What did you expect. More typical Till fare. At least he doesn't go on about Mexican machetes this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment