Wednesday 16 January 2013

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - "Absicht?"

I swear to God, mein Herr, it was just an accident.

(Poem no. 35 out of 54, located pg. 92 of ‘Messer’, 2010 print.)

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.




Intention?

I have a rifle
I have it loaded
A bang
Your little head is no more
I see this through the clouds

They knock on the door
Now they will catch me
But how could I have helped it?
It simply went off, that's all.

Original Meter: Alternating iambic trimeters and truncated iambic tetrameters with exception of the third line on the first stanza.

Original Rhyme Scheme: ABCAB DEDE.

Comments: The last two lines actually translate more literally to 'But I cannot help it / it simply went off', but I elaborated a little to add to the apathy of the piece; the last two lines of the translation also have the same meter which just sounds more pleasing.

Otherwise mostly unchanged. A bizarre little vignette from Till, reminiscent almost of a typical-headline murder...
It still reminds me of 'Feuer Frei!'.
Dein Glück...
ist nicht mein Glück...
ist mein Unglück...


Your happiness...
Is not my happiness...
Is my misery...

1 comment:

  1. Another "ripped from the headlines" musing... So many domestic murders carry that explanation in the press... Sort of like "but he volunteered to be eaten"...

    ReplyDelete