Monday 22 April 2013

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - "Komm Ich Koch Dir Eine Suppe'

A delectable soup for the soul.

This is actually a fairly mild one. (The poem, not the soup.) I think this translation is genuinely as good as it gets!

(Poem no. 45 out of 54, located pg. 118 of ‘Messer’, 2010 print.)

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.



Come, I Have Cooked You a Soup

Come, I have cooked you a soup
From the wishes of shooting-stars
From kisses and from sweating thighs
From the tears beneath the rump
I bend every one of your hairs,
I've thrown my anchor in your sea.
And deep within my soul's shrine
I have jailed a portrait of you
It wants to wrench at my heart;
Deep in my body, it is locked.

Original Meter: Iambic and trochaic tetrameters, not always finishing off at the eighth syllable.

Original Rhyme Scheme: AABB.

Comments: 'Sternenschnuppe' was translated to 'shooting stars', plural. 'Sternschnuppe' is the entry I can find in dictionaries, but 'Sternen' is the plural for 'stars', thus an extrapolation from then on seems feasible.

It's not changed largely in meaning from the first time around. But it fits the meter of the original lines much better; if I could post the original text I would, but I can't because copyright! Ah, well. Still a lovely poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment