Sunday 3 February 2013

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - "Sucht"

You are the drug for my soul. I am so in love with you.

(Poem no. 44 out of 54, located pg. 116 of ‘Messer’, 2010 print.)

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.


Addiction

She has never lied to me, I
Know that she will never leave me
She's woven a net around me
Holds me tight with a thousand arms

She came to me as the voice broke
Her cradle, my hand
I fall asleep with her at night
She is not related to me

She shakes me and lets me freeze,
Knows no compassion nor mercy
Compare her with wet animals;
but - my addiction, it has no name.

Original Meter: Largely iambic tetrameter, with additions at the end of certain lines and truncations at the beginning of the second/fourth lines of the second stanza ('ihre Wiege...' as opposed to 'ihre Wiege...')

Original Rhyme Scheme: ABAB CDED FGFG. C is 'brach' and E is 'ein' and do not rhyme.

Comments: Reworked to try to fit the syllables, if not the meter.

'Sucht' also means 'desire'/'passion', and it is currently its most common meaning. I have used 'addiction' mostly out of personal choice - I think it fits better. I am very fond of this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment