Sunday 11 March 2012

Till Lindemann's 'Messer' - "Der Tod"

This poem contains one of the only pictures in 'Messer' where Till looks somewhat normal. Just that I'd throw that in there.

Disclaimer: Poem copyrighted to Till Lindemann. This post does not include photos/illustrations of said poem from 'Messer'. The original German text is also not included. This is only a interpretive translation and accuracy is not guaranteed.




Death

Is a king
Powerful and
Allmighty
With queen
But without guard
And between his legs
Swings a halberd
He knows not where he wants to go
Left   Right
The pendulum indicates the direction
Because he cannot decide himself

My heart is a soldier
Marching to the beat of drums
And kisses the storm
In his Majesty
The queen
The country was under the kingdom
The king whispers in the steel
Pendulum, give me a direction
Left   Right
Because I cannot decide myself

Death is a king
Powerful
And allmighty
The ache in his uniform
Soon the boys throw in the time
My heart in terror stops
The soldier stands as a tower
And with large hands brings the storm
The queen
Left   Right
No one knows when this began
The pendulum indicates the direction

Comment: The only italicized line is something that I really am not sure of. The word is 'trächtig', uncapitalized; apparently that means 'pregnant' but I cannot find a way to make that fit in the text. 'Tracht' means uniform and '-ig' can be a suffix used to make a noun into an adjective so that's what I've used, but I have no idea.

I must admit, this poem is surprisingly hard to understand when it gets to the third stanza. Till is weaving a simple story but I cannot figure out what it is. The repeated motifs of the the queen that isn't connected to anything... what can it be? Any ideas will be appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I felt pregnant was correct - used as in "anticipated".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pendulum is his balls. Knowing Till there might be a sexual theme in this poem. That's why the queen is there. Just a guess.

    ReplyDelete